Sunday, January 21, 2024

Just a swinging!


 One of my last post talked about Susie's new sensory swing that she got for Christmas. Susie's teachers told me about a sensory swing that she uses at school and I got to researching one that would work for our home and our limited space. Susie does so well with her belt, we were hopeful having a swing at home would help keep her busy and engaged. I found this swing on Amazon that would attach to our hallway. It hangs from a strong metal bar and the swing itself is made of a thick stretchy material. 

The first night we put it up she needed assistance getting in and out and I was feeling doubtful that this was going to have the same affect her swing at school did. Boy, was I wrong. Susie has easily swung 20 miles in this swing. It is quite amazing to watch her, we call it her "circus act." She gets all the way in it like a hammock, or she sits in it like a playground swing, or our personal favorite is when she locks her ankles and swings through the air! It is truly amazing to watch what she can do with her swing. 

For a long time I tried to fit Susie into a mold, especially when it came to buying her gifts and finding toys for her to play with. I tried to get her gifts that I thought kids her age would want to play with. Through this journey, I lam earning that what Susie likes isn't always "typical." However, the more we figure out her likes and differences, the happier she is. 

                                                       

Jumping on her trampoline and playing with her sequin board. 

As if her swing didn't take up enough space, sometimes she grabs every bag of Dot's Pretzels she can find and INSISTS they are right beside her! 

This was a first, she put herself to sleep in the swing! 

Susie gathers random items throughout the house and puts them in the hall with her as she swings. It's like an obstacle course trying to get to the bathroom. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Kindergarten

 Just like that, Summer is over and we are 2 weeks into school!! I had so much anxiety about the change this school year would bring! Sam st...