Tuesday, August 15, 2023

Fall of 2022 - part 1




 As I mentioned in my previous post, October of 2022 put us through the wringer. My mom, nana, had babysat Susie at our house since she was 8 months old. They have a tremendous bond and love for one another. In late September my mom got sick, which wasn't abnormal for this time of year. So, my husband and I took turns taking off work to stay with Susie for a few days. After a few days of this it became apparent that her illness this time was different. On October 4, we ended up calling an ambulance and after an eventful evening, she was admitted to St. Luke's cardiac ICU with what they assumed was a heart attack. After a few days, and several tests it was determined she had congestive heart failure and her kidneys were failing due to all the excess water. 

This was obviously a difficult time for my two sisters and I as our dad passed away several years ago and our mom had always been our rock. Over the course of the next several days (23 to be exact) my husband and I juggled staying home with Susie and working as well as visiting my mom. Not to mention Susie started getting sick every few weeks again...we were tired. Finally on October 27th my mom was discharged to the local nursing home on oxygen. After 5 days there, we brought her home to continue rehab. At this point Susie's delays were not correcting themselves and no progress was being made in the area of verbal communication. 

Just an example of some of the crazy stuff Susie does that gives me a headache! 
She painted with peanut butter. 
Halloween 2022. Poor girl was sick with an ear infection! 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Kindergarten

 Just like that, Summer is over and we are 2 weeks into school!! I had so much anxiety about the change this school year would bring! Sam st...